Thursday, May 10, 2012

Graduate's Mom

Dear Beanie,

Tonight you graduate from high school.  You've had a pretty rocky year, and through no fault of your own, have had to face down some dragons this year.  I want you to know that I have never been prouder of you and how you have handled it all.  You are a remarkable person. 

Tonight you graduate from high school.  I keep flashing back to moments from your childhood.  Aunt Carrie's wedding, when you were seven, remember?  You really, truly thought you might be Spiderman, in that you had been bitten by a spider, and you had an Uncle Ben.  You spent the entire reception jumping into a crouch and flexing your wrist, hoping for web to fly out.  You were the cutest child at the entire wedding.

Tonight you graduate from high school.  I can't believe how fast that time has gone by.  Do you remember when you were in second grade, and the World Trade Centers were attacked?  I couldn't wait to get to you, but I didn't want to pull you out of school early, because I was afraid you would be scared.  As soon as school let out, I was there.  You knew something was up, and I took you to McDonald's.  In the drive through line, buying you a McFlurry, I said, "I need to tell you something."  Do you remember?  I do.

Tonight you graduate from high school.  Remember when you were in the sixth grade talent show, and you drummed along to "We Built This City"?  Remember how the other kids went bananas over you, and how you had a moment of ultimate coolness, because, really, nobody is cooler than a drummer?  I was so glad you had that moment.  I think that might have been the only time you really understood how amazing you are, for that moment.

Tonight you graduate from high school.  Remember when you were a freshman, running Cross Country, knocking my socks off because you were so fast, so lithe, so incredibly much like a gazelle, running with strides that were literally five feet long?  I do.  Every time you left the starting line, I was fine for about ten minutes, and then I would start to panic.  What if he is hurt?  I thought.  What if you had fallen, twisted an ankle, broken your leg?  Of course, you were fine (even if you did push yourself so hard that you threw up at the finish line, pretty much every time.)  Of course you were.  You were amazing.  You inspired me.  You still do.

Tonight you graduate from high school.  Remember when you were granted the Person of Integrity Award by the Masons?  Remember how creepy/cool it was that we were invited into their Grand Poobah Room, and we got to watch the ceremony?  You were lovely with your big smile, pretty girl at your side.  I think that was the first moment when I felt like you were grown.

Tonight you graduate from high school.  You ARE grown, you are ready.  I believe in you.  I know that you are going to accomplish great things.  I know you are going to make an impact on this world, a real, live impact.  You may cure a terrible disease, or be the president that balances the budget.  Or, as you plan, you might become a very good high school history teacher, and you might inspire one kid to grow up to make a mark on the world.  And you know what?  That is enough.  More than enough.  All my life, I have learned that the only thing I have ever done that matters is parent you and your brother.  The impact you make on the next generation will carry forward forever.

Tonight you graduate from high school. You are already ready, I really don't need to give you a lot of advice.  All I can say is this:  keep doing it.  Keep being you, because you amaze me every day.  Try to be kind, try to be honest, try to do the right thing.  Look out for people who are smaller than you.  Pray.  Lean on your family, we will always be here for you.  Love with every ounce of your heart, even if it gets broken.  Dance like a white boy.  Don't drink alone.  Wear your seatbelt.

Tonight you graduate from high school.  I love you so much.  I am very proud of you.  You truly are remarkable.  Congratulations, my boy.   You are going to rock this world!

Love,
Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment