Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Reading Rainbow

Have I mentioned that I like to read?  No?  Yes.  I also like to do jigsaw puzzles and knit.  Fuck off.  You have dirty little secrets, too.

Well, so back to reading.

I just recently read, and it took me once trying and giving up, but this time I stuck it out, but anyway, so yeah.  I recently read Oil! and you know what?  I did NOT hate it.  I'm not going to say it was my favorite book ever, but it didn't dry me out like the Sahara this time, and I actually found myself caring about the characters.  A little bit.  Which is fine, because I don't think Upton Sinclair cared about them, either, he was just using them as a vessel to get his politics on the paper.  It's all good, Upton.  Why you think I blog?

Anyway, at the end of it, I was dis-settled and I wanted something neater, with a happier ending, all tied up like a bow, or so I thought.  So, I picked up an old favorite that I have, literally, read a hundred times or so.  Pride and Prejudice (without zombies, this time).  I KNOW how this book ends, and so I cruised right along.  Picked up a few things I had missed before, even.

And then, you know what?  I started to get right to the end, right where Bingley and Jane work it out, and then Darcy, and...  I put it away. 

I KNOW.

Because, you know what?  Who gives a shit if Elizabeth and Darcy both get over their damn selves and see eye to eye?  Who gives a shit if Lydia DID get engaged?  NOBODY, that's who.  Whom.

Fuck it, Austen.  You are unrealistic and quite silly to me now, and I don't want to read you, so there.  SO THERE.

Meanwhile, I had begun an audiobook, as I do, and it's a Steven King book called 11-22-63, and my expectations were low, but... it's actually perfect.  A little dark, a little creepy, a tiny bit fantastic, and mostly, just pretty good.  Not too much lovey dovey (thanks be to St. Barf-olomew) and a good bit of history, which, you know, Nerdette over here loves.

So there you go.  I have hence come to the conclusion that Steven King is the perfect read for divorcing smart girl people.

Additionally, I'm reading Dracula, because if I'm not reading a classic at all times, I feel wrong.

Books mother-effing rock.

No comments:

Post a Comment