Friday, July 29, 2011

FM Radio

Heyyyyyyy, y'all!

Guess who's feeling better??

Just in time for the weekend, I might add, with a little, snarky tee hee, the tee hee that means, ha ha ha, work, I saved my WELL for not-you!  tee hee.

Anyway, I know I'm a bit random today, but guess what.

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this radio station, to which you ought to listen while you are at work.  I am not joking.  I am pretty sure this channel only plays things from the second half of 1988 through, oh, say, maybe early 1998.  My high school and college time (shut up, yes, that is slightly more than the appropriate 8 years, but I have completed some of my Master's, thanks very much.).

DUDE.  Thas some good music time, y'all.

It's not a lot of grungy-Seattle music, although a bit which is fine, mostly Smashing Pumpkins. 

It's not a lot of peppy 80's bubble gum, although a bit of Debby Gibson never hurt anybody.

It's not a lot of big-hair Great White nonsense, although you and I both know that once you are bitten you are, indeed, twice shy, babe.

It IS a lot of Beastie Boys and then Prince and then MMMM BOP and then FUNKY COLD MEDINA and then LITTLE MISS CAN'T BE WRONG and then Snoop Dog and then Runaway Train and then old skool Beyonce and then that song Stay by that one chick and then something else that all makes you go OH YES, THIS.

Because, truly.  Oh, yes.  This.

These are the songs of when I was learning to be me, you know.  The soundtrack of what weed smells like and how I can't wear fitted shirts, even when I'm skinny.  The playlist of I love him and I'll knit him something and he will think I'm sweet (SWEET.  IMAGINE)  and then use me for a ride somewhere.  The backdrop of a movie scene of how to be friends with girls who have their own kitchens and how to cook ONE DAMN THING that doesn't start with "hamburger" or end with "helper."

When jeans didn't flare.  And then did.  And then didn't again.

When my sort of curly hair was fine even if I didn't brush it, and only had ONE GRAY STRAND EVER.

When nobody else wore make-up, either.

When, even though I really wanted Doc Martins I was wearing Keds.  Because, come on.  I lived in Charlotte for most of that time.

(Charlotte is a very keds and flower-bangs kind of place.)

This is my music, y'all.  I didn't necessarily know that when it was current, but that is kind of traditionally how I roll.  I've kind of always been about 20 years behind where I should be.  Just wait.  Next year I will TOTALLY fall in love with Beck.  He's been making eyes at me already.  I mean it.

I gotta go.  Because, you know...  Never Gonna Get it by En Vogue just kicked on.  And I mean, a girl's gotta do...

No comments:

Post a Comment